[NTG-context] Windows Installer for MsWinContext

Idris Samawi Hamid ishamid at colostate.edu
Mon Sep 17 01:56:59 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 14:41:16 -0600, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
<yatskovsky at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm back with my idea of installer for mswincontext  distribution. I
> successfully use my local (post-install) version , which simply sets
> env. vars, but I feel there is need for more. Anticipating new
> mswincontext build, I can implement the installer for it using free Inno
> Setup software.

Good project!

> The controversy is about setup file content. I see it as whole
> mswincontext, because it is declared as minimal distribution (so,
> nothing can be thrown away). However, I was suggested on this list to
> make some parts downloadable on demand, so I need to ask: what parts to
> make?

I believe you should just support the whole mswincontext, and install it
in C:\ConTeXt etc. Please do not use
C:\Program Files ;-)

Perhaps the docs should be an install option, as they are quite huge.

Some things like the complete TeX-Gyre font suite need to be added to
mswincontext or given as an option. There are other modules as well that
might make good options for the installer.

> In general, I believe that if classical Windows installer for ConTeXt
> were available, it would gain more popularity and appreciation.

A true stand-alone ConTeXt has been a goal I have pushed for a number of
years now, and from what I understand Hans has heading more and more in
that direction.

> Of course, I'd like to hear from Hans and Taco what they think about it,
> and whether they dare to facilitate this.

My only real question is how to also support a minimal LaTeX distribution
side-by-side. I hardly use it, but many of us still have legacy documents
we need to process now and then. Maybe we can take the LaTeX portion of
XemTeX and make it an install option as well. A couple years back I
actually dumped the XemTeX LaTeX files into my C:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf tree
and it worked (and mswincontext is closer to fpTeX/Fabrice's way than to
the MiKTeX way AKAIK). Since ConTeXt always uses \texmf-local there was no
conflict. OTOH there may be other issues... maybe a dedicated \texmf-latex
tree branch is called for...

Good luck and all the

Best
Idris