[NTG-context] still waiting for mswincontext

Joel C. Salomon joelcsalomon at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 00:13:34 CEST 2007

On 9/30/07, Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:
> > So what environment variables can I set globally to avoid the need for
> > running setuptex.bat?  My first guess is:
<snip>
> > SETUPTEX=done
> > CTXMINIMAL=yes
>
> not if setuptex is not used

CTXMINIMAL is also not needed?

> > TEXPATH=C:\...<whatever the path is>...\context\tex\
> > TEXMFMAIN=%TEXPATH%\texmf
> >
> > TEXMFOS=%TEXPATH%\texmf-mswin
> > TEXMFPROJECT=%TEXPATH%\texmf-project
> > TEXMFFONTS=%TEXPATH%\texmf-fonts
> > TEXMFLOCAL=%TEXPATH%\texmf-local
> > TEXMFEXTRA=%TEXPATH%\texmf-extra
>
> depends on your trees

Using the directory tree as stored in mswincontext as my starting point.

> > TEXPOOL=%TEXMFOS%/web2c\{$engine,}
>
> not for luatex/xetex
>
> > TEXFORMATS=%TEXMFOS%\web2c\{$engine,}
>
> not for luatex
>
> > MPMEMS=%TEXMFOS%\web2c\{$engine,}
>
> depends
>
> > MPPOOL=%TEXMFOS%\web2c\{$engine,}
>
> not needed any more

But setuptex still sets these.  What does it mean, that TEXPOOL &al.
aren't needed for luatex/xetex?  Does MKII need them?

> > TEXMF={$TEXMFOS,$TEXMFPROJECT,$TEXMFFONTS,$TEXMFLOCAL,$TEXMFEXTRA,!!$TEXMFMAIN}
>
> yes
>
> > TEXMFDBS=$TEXMF
>
> dependes on kpse version i think

I've been using %var% notation for parts that Windows expands when the
variable is defined, but I see UNIX-style $var here and there.  Should
these be expanded at define-time also, or are these for the programs
that use them to understand?

I've got Perl, Python, and Ruby installed, & I'm using mswincontext
and upgrades thereto as the only TeX distribution on the machine; I'd
like it to work as smoothly as MiKTeX does where it's installed --
i.e., replace setuptex with a machine-global set-up.  And I'm willing
to jump through some hoops to find the "right way" so installation can
be made easier for others

--Joel