[NTG-context] luatex on debian

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Oct 12 18:11:26 CEST 2007

George N. White III wrote:
> debian (unstable,testing?) users can get a snapshot release of luatex in
> apt package form.
>
> This works for me, but there are a few things that needed slight adjustment, so
> I wanted to report them here to encourage others to start testing it.
>
> I needed to set TEXMF=/etc/texmf.  Luatools doesn't seem to handle the {..}
> in the variables that are combined in TEXMF.   Also, when it didn't find

hm, it should handle the {} ok (well, i did rewrite that part a bit
because it didn't handle some cases; can you send me the TEXMF spec that
failed?)

> AlProTex.sty, the message indicated that it couldn't find AlProTeX.sty
> ('x'-->'X')!

 >ls c:/data/develop/tex/texmf/tex/generic/dratex/AlProTeX.sty
/dev/fs/C/data/develop/tex/texmf/tex/generic/dratex/AlProTex.sty

 >kpsewhich  AlProTeX.sty
c:/data/develop/tex/texmf/tex/generic/dratex/AlProTeX.sty

 >luatools AlProTeX.sty
c:/data/develop/tex/texmf/tex/generic/dratex/AlProTex.sty

so, the file actually is named with an 'x' ; luatools (i.e. the file
handler written in lua) can handle mixed cases in a way that it will
always resolve to the syetem filename, here the one with th elower case
x; so i guess that kpse is reporting wrong

is there an alias file involved (i ignore that one, actually alias files
are not supposed to exist any longer)

> For testing, you can just set some simplified TEXMF, e.g.,:
>
> export TEXMF={$HOME/texmf,/usr/local/texmf,/usr/share/texmf-texlive,/usr/share/texmf}
>
> or you can edit /etc/texmf/texmf.d/05TeXMF.cnf to simplify things like:
>
> TEXMFDIST = /usr/share/texmf-{texlive,tetex}
>
> In my case, I no longer have texmf-textex, so this became just
>
> TEXMFDIST = /usr/share/texmf-texlive
>
> Then run: "update-texmf" and "luatools --generate"
>
> You can check the TEXMF variable with:
>
> $ luatools --expand-var TEXMF
>
> More tests to make sure the configuration is working:
>
> $ luatools  msam7.afm
> /usr/share/texmf-texlive/fonts/afm/bluesky/ams/msam7.afm
>
> Then build the format:
>
> $ luatools --ini --verbose --compile cont-en
>
> and compile something:
>
> $ texexec --luatex foo
> TeXExec | processing document 'foo'
> TeXExec | no ctx file found
> TeXExec | tex processing method: context
> TeXExec | TeX run 1
> TeXExec | writing option file foo.top
> TeXExec | using randomseed 967
> TeXExec | tex engine: luatex
> TeXExec | tex format: cont-en
>
> This is luaTeX, Version 3.141592-beta-0.11.2-2007092410 (Web2C 7.5.6)
> (./foo.tex
>
> ConTeXt  ver: 2007.09.28 16:52 MKIV  fmt: 2007.10.12  int: english/english
> [...]

btw, i have to find a way to report that a cache path is not present of
writable