[NTG-context] Female sign in Context

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 27 10:05:21 CEST 2007

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:30:49 +0200
Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Maurí­cio wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > How do I type the female sign (ª)
> > in Context?
>
> Depends a bit on your font setup.
>
> In mkiv and xetex and pdftex with texnansi font encoding and
> in xml input, just type ª.
>
> If that doesn't work, there is the macro \ordfeminine

Are you sure this should work, both of them give me different symbols
(dependent on the font encoding) but no female sign.

The martin vogel symbolset did also contain the symbols but you have to
define this symbols by yourself because the file in ConTeXt did not
contain it or to be more concret the Venus symbol, which should be
according to the unicode chart also the female symbol did not look very
pleasant to me for this purpose.

I defined now two extra symbols for the male and the female symbols.

\usesymbols[mvs]

\startsymbolset [gender]

\definesymbol[Male]  [\MartinVogelSymbol{124}]
\definesymbol[Female][\MartinVogelSymbol{126}]

\stopsymbolset
\starttext

\symbol[gender][Male]
\symbol[gender][Female]