[NTG-context] Font sizes using Chinese module

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 9 10:48:31 CET 2007

2007/11/7, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com>:
> On 11/7/07, Hans Hagen wrote:
> > Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> >
> > > Btw: Is there any reason for not using XeTeX (or LuaTeX in the future)
> > > for Chinese? (To be honest: I have absolutely no idea whether it works
> > > and how good it works if at all, but I would expect less problems
> > > there.)
> >
> > i bet that duncan uses it in some workflow that has to be stable i.e. no
> > moving targets like xetex or luatex (yet)
>
> That's certainly true for LuaTeX, but XeTeX is really not *so
> unstable*. I agree, font support has been (and still is a bit) broken
> until recently (and Leopard users report serious problems with
> xdvipdfmx), but the rest of problems seems approximately equally
> buggy/problematic to me as the rest of ConTeXt  :) :) :) :)
>

> Only as a suggestion: could someone who has managed to "install"
> Chinese fonts and map files successfully, upload the needed files to
> http://modules.contextgarden.net/, so that it would be easier for
> other users to take "ready-to-start-using" module rather than having
> to read dozens of pages of how to get started?
>
> In that case, supporting "Chinese on the garden" could be done right
> away if needed (perhaps we need to enable third party modules on the
> garden, which is really not so difficult to do).
>
> Mojca

I put two files to files to the wiki to write chinese, the contain the tfm, enc
and map files to use the fonts.

The first file [1] provides support for the fonts from the wiki page
for chinese [3],
the only thing you have to do is to unzip my file in a local TeX tree
and to place
the fonts files in the truetype directory.

The second file [2] has support for the cwTeX fonts (cwTeX is a chinese TeX
distribution), they look a little bit different and you have to
download the fonts from
their site [4].To use the fonts unzip my archiv from the module section in your
TeX tree and put the truetype fonts in the corresponding folder. You can choose
between fonts with centered punctuation or punctuation at the baseline, use only
one of them because both have the same files names.

After you have installed the fonts on your system refresh the database
with texhash
and and you try my attached example file (the text is taken from Hans
mkii/iv manual).

Wolfgang

[1] http://modules.contextgarden.net/chinese
[2] http://modules.contextgarden.net/cwTeX
[3] http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Chinese
[4] ftp://ftp.ctex.org/pub/tex/fonts/cwTeX/