[NTG-context] Gentium Basic/Book

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 01:57:28 CET 2007

On 11/19/07, Joel C. Salomon wrote:
> Guess I asked for too much at once.
>
> I've downloaded the Gentium Basic/Basic Book set of fonts from
> <http://scripts.sil.org/Gentium_basic>, and I'd like to use them with
> ConTeXt.  I ran texfont (with the command line texfont
> --fontroot=c:\users\chesky\programs\context\tex\texmf-local
> --sourcepath=... --vendor=sil --collection=gentium --makepath
> --install), and now running texexec on the newly generated
> texnansi-sil-gentium.tex produces some sort of glyph list.

Rather than using texfont (half-broken anyway), use XeTeX or LuaTeX.

(If you're using MikTeX and are willing to upgrade to MikTeX 2.7, you
can process your documents with "texexec --xtx filename"; if you're
using the standalone ConTeXt, you can process it with "--xtx" or
"--lua".)

Depending on whether you want to install those fonts or keep them in
the tree there are slightly different approaches, but this should work
for both LuTeX and XeTeX if you keep your files in the working
directory or in texmf/fonts/opentype/...[somewhere here]...

\starttypescript[serif][gentium-basic]
\definefontsynonym[GentiumBasic]          [file:GenBasR] [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[GentiumBasicItalic]    [file:GenBasI] [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[GentiumBasicBold]      [file:GenBasB] [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[GentiumBasicBoldItalic][file:GenBasBI][features=default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[serif][gentium-basic][name]
\definefontsynonym[Serif]          [GentiumBasic]
\definefontsynonym[SerifItalic]    [GentiumBasicItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBold]      [GentiumBasicBold]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic][GentiumBasicBoldItalic]
\stoptypescript

\definetypeface[mygentium][rm][serif][gentium-basic][default]

\setupbodyfont[mygentium,13pt]

I don't know how you plan to mix those fonts, but "reverting to
another typeface in case a glyph is missing" is a bad idea in this
particular case, at least in my opinion (although it's conditionally
doable) - how are you going to handle missing characters in bold
typeface?

One possibility would be to use:
- Gentium for Roman & Italic
- Gentium Basic for Bold & Bold Italic (and hope that you won't need
any special characters for titles)

Mojca