[NTG-context] Gentium Basic/Book (getting even weirder)

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 13:51:06 CET 2007

On Nov 25, 2007 12:21 PM, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> >> I had already (is exactly the same as in the distro).
> >
> > I'm sorry. Something weird is happenning. You need to change these
> > lines (add "file:" prefix):
> >
> >   \definefontsynonym [Times-Roman]       [file:texgyretermes-regular]
> >   [features=default]
> >   \definefontsynonym [Times-Italic]      [file:texgyretermes-italic]
> >   [features=default]
> >   \definefontsynonym [Times-Bold]        [file:texgyretermes-bold]
> >   [features=default]
> >   \definefontsynonym [Times-BoldItalic]
> > [file:texgyretermes-bolditalic] [features=default]
> >   \definefontsynonym [Times-Caps]        [file:texgyretermes-regular]
> >   [features=smallcaps]
> >
> > and possibly remake the formats. Does that change anything? (Needs to
> > be changed in the distpibution as well.)
>

> Yes and No: it makes no improvement, it just changes the point where
> the typesetting process pauses/freezes.
>
> Now it is after the line:
> (/usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local/tex/context/base/spec-xet.tex)
> specials        : fdf,dpx loaded
>
> After doing this the process stops for about 90 seconds (while Mac's
> processor shows heavy work!), afterwards TeXShop's console prints
> dozens of empty line and finally ends in:

Empty lines highly resemble the old XeTeX. Can you try to put
    \suppressfontnotfounderror\plusone
at the top of your document (only to see if your XeTeX is recent
enough to recognise the command).

> systems         : begin file test_1 at line 9
> fonts           : resetting map file list
> fonts           : using map file: original-base
> fonts           : using map file: lm-math
> fonts           : using map file: lm-rm
> fonts           : using map file: original-youngryu-tx
> [1.1]
> ** WARNING ** This .map file looks like a dvips format fontmap file.
> ** WARNING ** -- Current input buffer is: HoeflerTextOrnaments
> hoeflertextornaments <hoeflertextornaments.enc
> ** WARNING ** -- Reading fontmap file stopped at: file="dvipdfm.map",

What does
    locate dvipdfm.map
say? Can you send a few lines from that file? (It's weird ...)

> (The one-liner pdf that was produced in this  95 second looks ok,
> though. What will happen when some typesets a regular 400 pages book??)

The problem raises only once per typescript change, so unless one is
planning to switch typeface regularly, typesetting 400 pages would
take 95 seconds+normal processing time for 400 pages. I don't say that
is OK, but I don't experience that problem at the moment (though I
completely believe you, I only don't know where exactly it stops), so
I don't know how exactly to help.

Take a look into font-ini, uncomment the following lines and remake the formats:

          \ifx\xetextempfont\nullfontname
           \writestatus\m!fonts{fails #1: #2 (\xetextempfont)}%
            \expandafter\secondoftwoarguments
          \else
           \writestatus\m!fonts{succeeds #1: #2 (\xetextempfont)}%
            \expandafter\firstoftwoarguments

(Perhaps uncommenting these lines shold be done in the distro for some
period to make debugging easier.)

Mojca