[NTG-context] Ligatures in ConTeXt minimals distribution

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 16:59:29 CET 2007

On Dec 4, 2007 1:19 AM, Mike Santy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Ligatures seem to be missing when using the ConTeXt minimals distribution
> (8/8/2007) with the times font (see below example).  Note that ligatures are
> rendered correctly using live.contextgarden.net, so I assume that something
> needs to be configured on my end.
>
> Could someone please be kind enough to tell me what I should configure to
> get proper ligatures for the times font in the minimals distribution?
>
> Cheers,
> Mike
>

> \usetypescript[times][ec]
> \setupbodyfont[times,12pt]
>
> \starttext
>
> \input knuth
> \blank
> And this is some maths with PostScript fonts.
> \startformula
> {a \over b} = {c \over d} \iff ad - bc = 0,
> \qquad \int_0^{2\pi}\!\!\! \sin^2(x)dx =\pi,
> \qquad {\rm e}^{{\rm i}\pi} + 1 = 0,
> \qquad \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}{1 \over k^2} = {\pi^2 \over 6}.
> \stopformula
> Some ligatures: ffi, ffl.
>
> \stoptext

Weird indeed ... The funny part is that I get two warnings (both of
them are my faut since I don't have those files):

pdfTeX warning: pdftex (file ec-urw-times.map): cannot open font map file
fonts           : using map file: ec-urw-helvetica

pdfTeX warning: pdftex (file ec-urw-helvetica.map): cannot open font map file
fonts           : using map file: original-youngryu-tx

and the output still looks fine (I get at least fi ligature, I'm not
sure about the others.).

It looks like a font problem to me, but not something that the user
could misconfigure. (Old or wrong font files perhaps? I really have no
clue.)

The garden doesn't use the standalone distribution (but a fraction of TeX Live).

Mojca

I will try to investigate, but I don't promise anything. A quick
workaround would be to use TeX Gyre instead.