[NTG-context] TeX ligatures in XeTeX/LuaTeX: ``who needs them''?

Maurí­cio briqueabraque at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 10 06:55:31 CET 2007

 > Hello,
 >
 > just wondering: how many ConTeXt-ers depend on ligatures such as:
 >    '' (double quote) and '' (two single quotes) -> right double quote
 >   `` -> left double quote
 >   ,, -> DOUBLE LOW-9 QUOTATION MARK
 > (...)

You got replies from experienced users, so I
thought you could use an answer from a
begginer; there are many of us out there!

Really, all of those are problems to me, even
-- and ---. If you have ligatures at all, you
have to take some (a lot) of time to learn
how they work, and which ones are available,
and how to avoid them when you need.

I would really like if we could replace
ligatures for a nice page, linked from the
"first steps" documentation, explaining the
most interesting Unicode characters and when
to use them properly. I've just read about
U+2010–2015 in wikipedia pages about hyphens
and dashes, and I wish I were directed to
those pages instead of everything I've read
about ligatures so far.

I'm not a professional user of Context, so of
course you'll take that into account as you
consider what I say.

Best,
Maurício