[NTG-context] Hyphenation with apostrophes

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Dec 18 09:20:37 CET 2007

Peter Münster wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 11:09:44AM +0100, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>> At the tex level you need either
>>
>>    \lccode`\'=`\'
>>
>> or make the ' an active character running a macro that is a bit like
>>
>>    \catcode`\'=\active
>>    \unexpanded\def'{\string'\prewordbreak}
>
> Hello,
>
> Do you know, how this is done in LaTeX? I remember, that such things have
> never been a problem there.

IIRC, the languages that needed this used the \lccode change together
with higher values of \lefthyphenmin and \righthyphenmin to prevent
bad hyphenations like ``instruccion-s''. But that was at least half
a decade ago, so I may recall this wrong or something may have changed
since then.

Best wishes,
Taco