[NTG-context] migrating to ConTeXt

Gour ggdasa at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 15:19:05 CET 2007

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 14:33:12 +0100
"Mojca Miklavec" <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, except that there is no beamer package available in ConTeXt , but
> theoretically "anything can be done".

Sure ;)

> In addition to the core functionality:
> http://modules.contextgarden.net/taspresent
> http://modules.contextgarden.net/t-rsteps

Thanks.

> 2.56$ for the first buggy đ found in ConTeXt :-)

He, he...let's try...

> (We'll drop that letter from our keyboards soon :)

Oh, then I'll stay with friendly lyx/latex...

> That was before anyone started complaining about its
> non-functionality :).

When I was exploring  ConTeXt I was told about that from someone
else. Strange, it was going on...

> Now, unless fonts are problematic, it should work flawlessly. (not
> with texfont, since it uses ec.enc which is broken, but texfont is now
> a history anyway)

Let it stay 'history'.

> Which general utf-8 problems? There might be some issues every now and
> then (in pdfTeX each character has to be defined separately and in
> LuaTeX there might be some new unpolished/non-debugged features), but
> they're usually resolved once someone complains. Exotic scripts don't
> work in pdfTeX of course.

See ml's archives in '02. utf-8 support was quite young then and I thought
XML has some value :-)

> You can always write incompatible code (by using XeTeX primitives),

Not soon :-)

> but in general you should be able to process XeTeX (ConTeXt) documents
> with LuaTeX without any problem (the only warning sign is that font
> definitions might still change a bit, but that only means changing a
> few top lines in your style file). i

Ohh, that's cool...the work is under the hood...

> The reverse is not neccessary true  since you cannot use Lua in XeTeX.

Sure.

> > 3) can one run luaTeX on x86_64 (I use Arch Linux & texlive) ?
>
> Sure.

That's nice. Both laptop & desktop are 64-bit here.

> AUCTeX is LaTeX oriented I guess, but I don't knom the details.

It says it supports ConTeXt and it does ;)

> It always depends on source, so creating a general converter is
> impossible. I would run "search and replace" a few times (depending on
> source), but that cannot solve everything.

OK. This is not the rush.

What about my last point: docs ?

Sincerely,
Gour