[NTG-context] latest release(s) and XeTeX

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 17:45:07 CET 2008

On Jan 20, 2008 7:57 AM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> Thanks Mojca, that worked! Now that I have your attention, may I ask
> another question: a couple of months ago, I was wondering about using
> fonts that are NOT installed on the system but are in one of the texmf-
> trees. In typescripts, we have the "name:" and "file:" syntax; the
> latter works with these fonts but seems to have some limitations (I
> attach a reply Taco wrote). Has anything new developed on this
> question?

Yes. See type-otf.tex:

    \definefontsynonym
        [LMRoman10-Regular]
        [file:lmroman10-regular]
        [features=default]

features=default is defined in font-ini.tex:

\definefontfeature
  [default]
  [liga=yes,kern=yes,tlig=yes,trep=yes] % texligatures=yes,texquotes=yes

tlig=yes is than mapped to
    \remapfontfeature tlig          yes  mapping=tlig

Note that "mapping=tlig" replaces "mapping=tex-text" (maybe it might
make sense to call it "mapping=tex-ligatures", I don't know which one
sounds better), which replaces -- with endash, --- with emdash and '
with the proper apostrophe. The rest of sligtly weird "ligatures" from
tex-text is not there.

Mojca

(I somehow still miss a sligtly more simple syntax for the whole
typescript, but I have no idea what that could be.)