[NTG-context] [OT] suggestion for books on (typo)graphic design

Andrea Valle andrea.valle at unito.it
Thu Feb 21 14:45:36 CET 2008

Ah, thanks Idris, I was thinking about it. My class is in Italian but
for a cosmopolitan audience, so English is ok.

Best

-a-

On 21 Feb 2008, at 14:33, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

> Hi Andrea,
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Typographic-Style-Robert-Bringhurst/
> dp/0881792063/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203600674&sr=8-1
>
> is fundamental and indispensable (Zapf calls it the Typographer's
> Bible),
> but if your class is in Italian...
>
> Best wishes
> Idris
>
> On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 03:00:07 -0700, Andrea Valle
> <valle at di.unito.it> wrote:
>
>> Hi to all and sorry for the OT,
>>
>> but here on the list there are some of the most competent people I
>> know on the topic.
>> I will start a course on graphic communication. The students are
>> ground-zero programmers, all on mac, so I would like to use Nodebox
>> (http://nodebox.net/).
>> (Unluckily no time/space to introduce ConTeXt).
>> I will focus on data visualization, so I was considering to adopt
>> Tufte's classic The Visual Display etc. I've still not read
>> Envisioning Information and Visual Explanations.
>> Any ideas?
>> I will have also to introduce basic elements of graphic communication
>> (e.g. fonts, page composition, color usage etc).
>
> --
> Professor Idris Samawi Hamid, Editor-in-Chief
> International Journal of Shi`i Studies
> Department of Philosophy
> Colorado State University
> Fort Collins, CO 80523
>
> --
> ntg-context
> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net
> _____________

Andrea Valle
CIRMA - DAMS
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> http://www.myspace.com/andreavalle
--> andrea.valle at unito.it

I did this interview where I just mentioned that I read Foucault. Who
doesn't in university, right? I was in this strip club giving this
guy a lap dance and all he wanted to do was to discuss Foucault with
me. Well, I can stand naked and do my little dance, or I can discuss
Foucault, but not at the same time; too much information.
(Annabel Chong)