[NTG-context] Two questions about use of system ttf fonts

Eythan Weg weg at indiscrete.org
Sat Mar 1 15:59:56 CET 2008

Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl>
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:09:19 +0100

   Eythan Weg wrote:
   > Hi,
   >
   > I am trying to use truetype fonts with mkiv.
   >
   > When loading a font given a full path name like
   > this:
   >
   > \font\test=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSans.ttf at 12pt

   do you need to provide the full path?

It turns out that I do not.  But I thought it should work even when OSFONTDIR
is not defined.

   why not set OSFONTDIR?

   OSFONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont//

   or so

Well, this type of definition fails with error "error >>
define font: font with name ... is not found"

But this

OSFONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont

works.

Also this

OSFONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/{freefont,ttf-dejavu}

but these do not:

OSFONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/{freefont;ttf-dejavu}
OSFONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/{freefont:ttf-dejavu}
OSFONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/{freefont,ttf-dejavu}//

Also a definition that works in the shell, fails when appears only in
texmf.cnf  when TEXMFCNF is defined in the shell.

Luatex with plain format does read texmf.cnf and correctly interpret
all the above variations including
OSFONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts/truetype//.

Thank you, eythan