[NTG-context] Strange format error with xetex engine on debian sid

Morgan Brassel morgan.brassel at free.fr
Sat Mar 15 17:21:30 CET 2008

Le Saturday 15 March 2008 17:01:41 Peter Münster, vous avez écrit :
> On Sat, Mar 15 2008, Morgan Brassel wrote:
> > I'm experiencing problems with the xetex engine on debian sid. I'm using
> > the official packages context and texlive-xetex. Maybe one of you has the
> > same setup and has a hint... When I try to compile a simple "hello
> > world!" document, I get the following message:
> >
> > This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996-patch1 (Web2C 7.5.6)
> >  %&-line parsing enabled.
> > ---! /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex/cont-en.fmt was written by pdftex
> > (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
> Hello,
> If there is no xetex-format, then I get a similar error.
> So, first generate the xetex format:
> texexec --make --all --xetex
> Then, check where the format has been written (perhaps
> /var/lib/texmf/web2c/xetex/cont-en.fmt).
> Update the lsr-database:
> mktexlsr
> Check, if at least kpsewhich finds the format:
> kpsewhich -engine xetex cont-en.fmt
> It should find the same file, that you've just generated before.
> Then, you should be able to compile "Hello world!".
> Cheers, Peter

Thanks, Peter.
Yes the xetex format is missing whereas the pdftex one is present. I guess
something is missing in the postinstall script of the context deb package.
Unfortunately, I don't really know how to check it.

Anyway, I ran texexec to build the format. As root, it is written to
which is not very coherent with the location of the pdftex format.

kpsewhich finds the format, but I'm stiil unable to compile Hello world. I now
get the following error:

kpathsea: Running mktextfm lmromanslant10-regular
mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode;
input lmromanslant10-regular
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf lmromanslant10-regular
! I can't find file `lmromanslant10-regular'.
<*> ...; nonstopmode; input lmromanslant10-regular

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...; nonstopmode; input lmromanslant10-regular

Maybe I should write a debian bug report. This problem hasn't been declared
yet. But I'm not sure how to do that!