[NTG-context] analyzing type-otf.tex

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 8 09:25:51 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban at fiee.net> wrote:
> 2008/4/8, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang at googlemail.com>:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 12:50 AM, Mojca Miklavec
> >  <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  > On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 8:22 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> >  > >  Oh? I thought uc encoding would magically enhance my type1 fonts with
> >  > >  full unicode range...
> >  > >  ;-)
> >  > I almost forgot ... to be honest, I wanted to say: "LuaTeX does
> >  > exactly that", but then I have remembered that you have explicitely
> >  > asked not to mention any LuaTeX benefits to you any more (at least
> >  > until next TeX Live comes out) ... :)
> > This is indeed possible with LuaTeX because you could create a virtual font
> >  and use any other character from another font with more characters but there
> >  is no font with the complete unicode range, unicode support more signs
> >  as you could use in one OpenType/TrueType font.
>
> Please, don't take me dumber than I am. There's a smiley after my naive remark.

I never meant this :-(

> It's great if luaTeX can access all available glyphs of a font (and
> that's really another reason to switch), and I guess it will also
> continue to combine accents and base characters for undefined glyphs,
> but of course it can't "invent" new glyphs.

But you could use them from another font as fallback, not the best
idea but possible. And no, you can't access all glyphs from a font,
it is easy to to print the vertical forms from CJK punctuation with XeTeX
but the LuaTeX output is nonsense.

> Most good Type1 fonts contain the range of Latin-1 and Mac-Roman, and
> if I'll be able to access that, it's great.
>
> I already started to combine several freeware fonts into OpenType
> (i.e. if there are e.g. Western, CE and alternate/expert fonts). But I
> guess that's only one of my "few" projects that stall until they're
> needed...
>
> Regarding luaTeX: Even if I can just include rsync into my daily
> update script to stay up-to-date on binaries (thanks for pointing that
> out!), I get a bad feeling if I see lots of threads on this list that
> show that luaTeX seems to have still some basic problems... On the
> other hand when I started using ConTeXt I did it for some features
> (grid setting!) even though it was a very much moving target.

Wolfgang

PS: I used your manuals to start with ConTeXt and never thought of you
as a dumb user and this wasn't meant to critize you, the only thing I wanted
to say it is still possible not not only a joke.