[NTG-context] luatex feature question/request

Olivier Guéry nemolivier at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 12:19:22 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:
> Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>  >>                                                but if we support such a
>  >> thing, we need a better specification; there are probably more space
>  >> related chars that needs treatment then
>  >
>  >   There's not much to it, actually.  There are some space characters in
>  > Unicode, and we should handle them as much Unicode-compliantly as
>  > possible; and there are some particular typographic conventions on top
>  > of that, for each language.  It's easy to come up with a simple scheme
>  > to support both, and I've already outlined it on a different
>  > mailing-list (http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2008-February/008529.html).
>  > The problem is to decide how much of the users' old typing habits we
>
>  this is indeed an important point ... we don't want to cripple default
>  behaviour by that (we already have -- --- and such)

habit.

>  the problem with all these automatisms is that it then becomes
>  impossible to do something verbatim, i.e bypass those mechamisms

I can't imagine a french text without those spaces. So maybe this
specific question should be on for all french text, and something like
\setcharacterspacing [frenchpunctuation]  [no] can be use for the
excepts.

(For sure questions like always indenting the paragraphs are more
complex since modern typography sometime don't put them).

>  >   I can discuss that with you at BachoTeX, Hans.  It's best done around
>  > a beer or two, anyway ;-)
>
>  sure, enough beer at bachotek anyway ...

If it can be solve with a beer ;o)

Olivier.

--
[Message tapé sur un clavier Bépo : http://www.clavier-dvorak.org ]