[NTG-context] minimal example for Cyrillic

Henning Hraban Ramm hraban at fiee.net
Mon Apr 28 21:05:42 CEST 2008

Am 2008-04-28 um 09:16 schrieb Gour:

> I was able to persuade one user to prepare ConTeXt package for NixOS
> distro, but, unfortunately, being from Russia he quickly discovered
> that
> he minimal example from wiki (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Russian)
> does not work, i.e.
>
> \enableregime[utf]
> \useencoding[cyr]
>
> \definetypeface [russian]
>   [rm] [serif] [computer-modern] [default] [encoding=t2a]
>
> \setupbodyfont[russian]
> \starttext
> Мама и Папа % Some Russian characters
> \stoptext
>
> does transliterate Russian characters.
>
> I do not have any experience working with Cyrillic, so if anyone can
> provide minimal working example it would be very nice?
>
> I persistently claimed that "it must work!" :-)

Since I just adapted a ConTeXt based business card generator to work
with cyrillic type, I can assure that it's possible - with XeTeX or
LuaTeX.

There you just need to encode your sources in UTF-8 and use OpenType
fonts that contain cyrillic glyphs, like TeX Gyre.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/