[NTG-context] ConTeXt on MikTeX broken

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue May 6 16:29:47 CEST 2008

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 7:00 AM, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

>  some time ago some MikTeX users have complained that ConTeXt doesn't
>  work on MikTeX. It seems to be a problem with MikTeX itself since this
>  workaround seems to solve the problem, at least temporary:
>     ruby "C:\Program Files\MiKTeX
>  2.7\scripts\context\ruby\texmfstart.rb" texexec

I'm not so quick to blame MiKTeX -- I suspect texmfstart.rb would need
to provide some path searching tailored to MiKTeX.   It seems to rely
on $0 with a tetex/texlive directory structure where SELFAUTOPARENT
can be used.  The only criticism of MiKTeX is that it is silly to distribute
a broken package, but then it is up to ConTeXt users to report breakage
and, ideally, supply fixes.

>  (But apparently there are not many MikTeX users on the list anyway.
>  Else more would have complained.)

Don't complain, just switch to a platform/distro where ConTeXt works
and use mpm (since few others provide updates with the speed and
convenience of MiKTeX).

I think MiKTeX should remain focusing on the packages and binaries,
and rely on upstream to fix broken packages.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia