[NTG-context] hyphenation problem

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Mon May 12 13:01:57 CEST 2008

Hans van der Meer wrote:
> In dutch hyphenated accented characters loose there accent when
> hyphenated: oö becomes o-o instead of o-ö. But the latter happens when
> I process the code below. It happens both in mkii and mkiv. The number
> of a's must be chosen so as to generate hyphenation between the two
> o's. I tried this also with another font than lmodern, but got the
> same result. What happened to (dutch) hyphenation?

I do not believe this ever has worked, because it is not supported
by Knuth's hyphenation algorithm, at all.

In MkIV, the following (in utf-8!) will work:

\language[nl]
\setupbodyfont[lmodern,10pt]
\hyphenation{co{-}{o}{ö}r-di-naat}
\starttext
hyphen test:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
coördinaat
\stoptext

But not the example with the \" coding (and that likely never will).

Best wishes,
Taco