[NTG-context] hyphenation problem

Hans van der Meer hansm at science.uva.nl
Mon May 12 14:07:12 CEST 2008

On 12 mei 2008, at 12:50, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hans van der Meer wrote:
>> In dutch hyphenated accented characters loose there accent when
>> hyphenated: oö becomes o-o instead of o-ö. But the latter happens
>> when
>> I process the code below. It happens both in mkii and mkiv. The
>> number
>> of a's must be chosen so as to generate hyphenation between the two
>> o's. I tried this also with another font than lmodern, but got the
>> same result. What happened to (dutch) hyphenation?
>>
>> ConTeXt  ver: 2008.04.18 14:17 MKII  fmt: 2008.4.19  int: english/
>> english
>>
>> \enableregime[mac]
>> \language[nl]
>> \setupbodyfont[lmodern,10pt]
>> \starttext
>> hyphen test:
>> aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>> coördinaat.
>> \par
>> hyphen test:
>> aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>> co\"ordinaat.
>> \par
>> \stoptext
>
> in principle we can make patterns that has this info by adding
> discretionaries to the patterns ... too much work to do that by hand

I am quite surprised by this, because in dutch there are a lot of
words with ö, ë to be hyphenated this way. And isn't there something
alike in german with the \SS?
Anyway, it would be much appreciated as this sort of hyphenation could
find its way in ConTeXt. It wouldn't do if LaTeX would keep in front
of ConTeXt in this respect ;-)

Hans van der Meer