[NTG-context] Arabic transliteration

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 14 19:17:49 CEST 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 4:41 PM, Alan Bowen wrote:
> Many thanks, Idris and Mojca.
>
>  If all goes well, I will move to luatex this summer---that really does
>  seem to be the way to go---and then investigate XeTeX, which I gather
>  is now functioning well with luatex. For now, however, I will have to
>  cobble a macro using hints that Mojca provided.

My hint(s) only work in XeTeX and LuaTeX.

>  By the way I am using Latin Modern (ec encoding).

With ec encoding you really need to do ugly things. You need to
compose a character by more or less manually lowering the breve accent
and take care for italic correction yourself. Not even accent
primitive can be used for it. And you cannot use the combining accent
after the character or the proper Unicode glyph (though the latter
might be possible by patching some definition in ConTeXt core), you
always need to use a macro.

With XeTeX and LuaTeX all that comes (almost) for free.

Mojca