[NTG-context] Labelling figures

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 6 09:51:51 CEST 2008

Hi,

what is the best method to add labels to a figure; I want them not only on
the figure but their position should be relative to the figure size.

I tried start/stopfigure (mentioned as outdated in the source) but the label
is not shown.

\setupexternalfigures[location={local,global,default}]

\starttext

\startfigure[kuh][cow]
\referring(1,1)(1,1)[r:horn]
\stopfigure

\externalfigure[kuh]

\stoptext

After this I tried collector and got with a little extra and a box and to dimens
what I wanted but it's not very elegant.

\setupexternalfigures[location={local,global,default}]

\starttext

\newbox\labelbox \setbox\labelbox\hbox{\externalfigure[cow]}

\newdimen\labelwidth  \labelwidth \wd\labelbox
\newdimen\labelheight \labelheight\ht\labelbox

\definecollector[label][state=repeat]

\setcollector[label]{\box\labelbox}

\setcollector[label][x=.65\labelwidth,y=.75\labelheight]{udder}

\placefigure
  {A labelled cow}
  {\flushcollector[label]}

\stoptext

Figurelabel as described in the label manual [1] seem to be the perfect
solution but the module was finished :-(

Is there not better way to achieve what I want and do I have to live with
my second method or could I hope for the future.

[1] http://pragma-ade.nl/general/manuals/mlabels.pdf

Greetings
Wolfgang