[NTG-context] how to convert font size to pt number ?

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 13 14:00:35 CEST 2008

Am 13.07.2008 um 13:16 schrieb Alan Stone:

> (1) \setupbodyfont[somebodyfont,12pt]
> \definefont[chapterfont][somefont sa 1.728]
> \setuphead[chapter][style=chapterfont]
>
> gives a compile error at \chapter{chapter title} :
>
> ! Font \**chapterfont**:=somefont at 20.736pt not loadable: metric
> data not found or bad

somefont is only a placeholder for a real font name or a style like
Serif, Sans ...

> However
>
> \setuphead[chapter][style=\tfc\somefont] works OK.

\setuphead[chapter][style=\tfc\somefont]

\starttext

\chapter{Chapter}

\stoptext

This gives me a error message, give us working samples.

> \setupbodyfont[somefont,12pt] also work OK, while

How should we know, it's hard to give you an answer with just one line
of code.

> \setupbodyfont[chapterfont,12pt] defaults to LM font
>
> Uh ?

You have no typeface with the name 'chapterfont'.

> (2) fc-list output extract
>
> Times New
> Roman:style
> =
> Regular
> ,Normal
> ,obyčejné
> ,Standard
> ,Κανονικά
> ,Normaali
> ,Normál
> ,Normale
> ,Standaard
> ,Normalny,Обычный,Normálne,Navadno,thường,Arrunta
> Times New
> Roman:style
> =
> Italic
> ,cursiva
> ,kurzíva
> ,kursiv
> ,Πλάγια
> ,Kursivoitu
> ,Italique
> ,Dőlt
> ,Corsivo
> ,Cursief
> ,kursywa,Itálico,Курсив,İtalik,Poševno,nghiêng,Etzana
> Times New
> Roman:style
> =
> Bold
> ,Negreta
> ,tučné
> ,fed
> ,Fett
> ,Έντονα
> ,Negrita
> ,Lihavoitu
> ,Gras
> ,Félkövér
> ,Grassetto
> ,Vet
> ,Halvfet
> ,Pogrubiona
> ,Negrito,Полужирный,Fet,Kalın,Krepko,đậm,Lodia
> Times New Roman:style=Bold Italic,Negreta cursiva,tučné
> kurzíva,fed kursiv,Fett Kursiv,Έντονα Πλάγια,Negrita
> Cursiva,Lihavoitu Kursivoi,Gras Italique,Félkövér dőlt,Grassetto
> Corsivo,Vet Cursief,Halvfet Kursiv,Pogrubiona kursywa,Negrito
> Itálico,Полужирный Курсив,Tučná kurzíva,Fet
> Kursiv,Kalın İtalik,Krepko poševno,nghiêng đậm,Lodi etzana
>
> With the following typescript
>
>     \starttypescript[serif][timesnewroman]
>         % --- MS TrueType Core Font ---
>         \definefontsynonym[Dummy][name:Times New Roman]
> [features=default]
>         \definefontsynonym[DummyBold][name:Times New Roman Bold]
> [features=default]
>         \definefontsynonym[DummyItalic][name:Times New Roman Italic]
> [features=default]
>         \definefontsynonym[DummyBoldItalic][name:Times New Roman
> Bold Italic][features=default]
>     \stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [timesnewroman]
   \definefontsynonym [TimesNewRoman-Regular]    [name:Times New
Roman]            [features=default]
   \definefontsynonym [TimesNewRoman-Italic]     [name:Times New Roman
Italic]     [features=default]
   \definefontsynonym [TimesNewRoman-Bold]       [name:Times New Roman
Bold]       [features=default]
   \definefontsynonym [TimesNewRoman-BoldItalic] [name:Times New Roman
Bold Italic] [features=default]
\stoptypescript

>     \starttypescript[serif][timesnewroman][name]
>         \definefontsynonym[Serif][Dummy][features=default]
>         \definefontsynonym[SerifBold][DummyBold][features=default]
>         \definefontsynonym[SerifItalic][DummyItalic][features=default]
>         \definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic][DummyBoldItalic]
> [features=default]
>         \definefontsynonym[SerifSlanted][DummyItalic]
> [features=default]
>         \definefontsynonym[SerifIBoldSlanted][DummyBoldItalic]
> [features=default]
>         \definefontsynonym[SerifCaps][Dummy][features=default]
>     \stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [timesnewroman]
   \setups[font:fallback:serif]
   \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [TimesNewRoman-Regular]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [TimesNewRoman-Italic]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [TimesNewRoman-Bold]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [TimesNewRoman-BoldItalic]
\stoptypescript

>     \definetypeface[myBodyFont][rm][serif][timesnewroman][default]

\starttypescript [timesnewroman]
   \definetypeface [timesnewroman] [rm] [serif] [timesnewroman]
[default]
\stoptypescript

\usetypescript[timesnewroman]
\setupbodyfont[timesnewroman]

\starttext

text \bf text \it text \bi text

\stoptext

> \bf displays in bold italic (??) so something is wrong/missing.
> Seems to be something with the style=... stuff. Fruitlessly searched
> the wiki and mailing list archive.

Wolfgang