[NTG-context] greek again

Charles P. Schaum verbo.solo at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 25 18:47:18 CEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 11:29 +0100, Armando Martins wrote:

> Any advice about Tex friendly distros?

Well, I can only say this: My best experiences for "out of the box"
functionality are from Ubuntu. Like Debian, they have taken TeXlive and
broken it up into a number of packages to allow for some installation
options and less bloat. Of course, you have the typical Linux ideology
thing going on, so they also take whatever the DFSG thinks to be
"non-free" and separate it out as its own package. Then they gzip the
docs so you have to gunzip them if you want to use Acrobat, for example.

MacTeX on OS X is really done quite well. I have no complaints. But you
need a Mac, or forget it.

I like FreeBSD, but its ports system does not seem to have the same
philosophy as TeXlive, or there are just too few working on it there. I
mean, if Debian can do it, why don't the clever duckies just look at a
few build scripts... So there you either have to use the prebuilt
FreeBSD binaries and install it yourself or build it from source, which
I rather like to do anyway. I haven't tried on the other BSD's.

I have generally found the Redhat family to be increasingly irksome for
a number of reasons, not the least of which are SELinux and YUM. The
same goes for SUSE, where YaST is king. I stopped using them before I
moved from TeTeX. I am intrigued by Gentoo and its portage, but haven't
tried it. And, just for grins, you can run good ole TeX on Plan 9.

My last MikTeX experience yielded non-portable DVI files, that meaning
all DVI viewers under Linux that I tried could not read a DVI generated
by MikTeX. I think PDF works, though. But it's Microsoft . . .

Charles