[NTG-context] When I don't want quotes

Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي ح Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي ح
Tue Aug 12 23:12:33 CEST 2008

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:12:04 -0600, Maurí­cio <briqueabraque at yahoo.com>
wrote:

>  >>>> I need to write ''''' in a text. However,
>  >>>> (...) I really need it to be 5 times U0027,
>  >>>> not ””’ (U201C and U2018). (...)
>
>  > \starttext
>  > \dorecurse5'{}
>  > % or \dorecurse{5}{'{}}
>  > \stoptext
>
>  > Even better:
>  >
>  > \starttext
>  > \defineactivecharacter  '  {\otfchar{quoteright}}
>  >
>  > '''''
>  > \stoptext
>  >

> Both also didn't work. Are you using Mark IV? I'm
> using regular Context (the one that comes with
> Ubuntu), maybe that's the difference.

Indeed, I am using mkiv... But you should be able to use \char etc. to get
the same effect.

pdftex is not working at the moment here -- see my message to the list --
so I can't test this at the moment, but in pdftex there is

  \unicodecharacter{number}

so

  \unicodecharacter{27}

should work.

Another option is to use utf8 encoding and insert a zero-width space
(200B) between the 0027's.

Finally: Did you try \dorecurse{5}{{'}}?

{'}{'} should break the dbl-quote just as {f}{i} breaks the fi ligature...

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy