[NTG-context] inframed : makes a newline

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 21 09:29:40 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 8:32 PM, Peter Münster <pmlists at free.fr> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20 2008, Peter Rolf wrote:
>
>> A \framed at the beginning of a paragraph starts in vertical mode (stuff
>> is ordered vertically). The macro \dontleavehmode ensures, that the
>> horizontal mode is used.
>
> Hello,
>
> Could you now change this behaviour please in MKIV? I think MKIV does not
> need to be backward compatible everywhere.

You forgot cases where this behavious is wanted and you would use one
\framed block on top of another one.

> For beginners (especially former LaTeX users), this is a real headache:
> \framed, \externalfigure and so on start sometimes a new paragraph, and
> sometimes not. In my opinion, these commands should behave like a simple
> hbox.

But this is exactly what \framed does.

\starttext
\framed{text}
\framed{text}
\hbox{text}
\hbox{text}
\stoptext

What you want produce also unwanted results in other commands.

\starttext
\placefigure
  {Centered?}
  {\dontleavehmode\framed{No!}}