[NTG-context] Still confused about \setuplayout

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Wed Aug 27 18:15:54 CEST 2008

Alan Stone wrote:
> Thanks Taco.
>
>> I am somewhat confused myself as to why this is generally considered to  be
> so confusing.
>
> What's most confusing are the:

Ok, that helped make me understand.

> - wiki layout explanation at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Layout

This is indeed confusing (and probably based on excursion)

> - \showsetups output

The \setuplayout parameters are in column one, the query-ing macros
are in column four. These are correct.

> - excursion manual, table 33.2 page 74

That table is simply wrong, and probably the cause of all of the
confusion (I never used excursion myself). I assume the goal of this
table is that column 1 matches \setuplayout's column 1 output; it
doesn't.

> - main manual page 24
> - \setuplayout texshow page

These two are correct (plus/minus a few small diffs due to later
extensions).

Conclusion: both excursion and the wiki need updating.

Best wishes,
Taco