[NTG-context] Reorganization of the main page

Patrick Gundlach patrick at gundla.ch
Wed Aug 27 18:25:01 CEST 2008

Hi,

>>> Missing the wiki-only search feature though.
>>
>> OK, you're number two. I'll think about it.
>
> Here's why Patrick: a wiki being a source of documentation, that's where I
> look for next
> when not finding something in the paper manuals and texshow. If I don't find
> it there,
> digging deeper through the mailing archive is useful. Having everything
> mixed up through
> one google search blurb is oftentimes confusing due to the lack of
> structure.

But the wiki search really sucks. Search for example for 'my Way': no
matches found.

I'd like to have a solution where we only have one search box (google)
which only searches the wiki by default. @Mojca: can this be done?

>>> Also, when a newbie reads "texshow-web" (s)he doesn't have a clue what
>>> that means.
>>
>> Jano Kula suggested to rename it to "reference" or sth. like that.
>> I'll do so.
>
> Reference of what ?

of all commands. It is better then texshow(-web). Other suggestions?

>>> - live context  -> Try out ConTeXt online
>>> - download     -> Download the ConTeXt application
>>> - download area   ->  Download examples, 3rd party modules, articles,
> MyWay reports, ...

Way too long to fit into the left box!

> Some other ideas...
>
> - A clearly visible (colored ?) banner or link on top of the main page
> saying something like "If you're new to ConTeXt, click here to get started
> fast..." which redirects to the main page "Getting Started section" might be
> useful.

See Aditya's suggestion. Would this be OK?

> - http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals
> The Minimals are an attempt to provide the same functionality as the current
> Pragma's minimal ConTeXt distributions in the zip files. Etc...

They will be renamed to either "distribution" or "official
distribution" and the "only" supported way of installing context.

> This is quite confusing for a newbie: "If I install the ConTeXt Minimals,
> what will I be missing what's in the Pragma's minimal distribution
> ?"

This is absolutely true. Because of this we will remove the part
"minimals" from the name.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

Patrick

--