[NTG-context] Experience on writing a thesis with MKIV

Mikael Persson mickep at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 11:26:13 CEST 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 8:23 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:
> Mikael Persson wrote:
>
>> The thesis is available at
>
> maybe we should collect such links on a wiki page
>
>> http://www.math.chalmers.se/~mickep/mp-thesis-final.pdf
>>
>> and a short presentation of the third paper
>>
>> http://www.math.chalmers.se/~mickep/pres.pdf
>
>> Some comments:
>> * At our university the thesis should be printed on the (not really
>> standard) G5 paper. No problem in defining and using it with ConTeXt.
>
> just curious ... is it used more often or just at your universiy; it's
> no problem to add an extra papersize definition
>
>> * The bibliography uses Taco's module. I am happy of being able to
>> have different bibliographies in one file.
>> * As a mathematician I was a bit tired of the computer modern fonts (I
>> really like them, but I see them to often), so I decided to go with
>> the utopia/fourier fonts. This forced me to work with mkii, since I
>> did not get these fonts to work with mkiv (This is still a problem, I
>> am not sure how to go on with it for future documents).
>
> looks quite nice, i also like the font size
>
>> * Typesetting math worked very smoothly. There is one place where I
>> hade to add some negative vertical space (I could not reproduce this
>> in a minimal file).
>> * I'm very happy with the way MetaPost and ConTeXt work together.
>> * The presentation is inspired by Thomas A. Schmitz' files at
>> http://www.tug.org/pracjourn/2006-2/schmitz/ (thanks!)
>  >
>> * The presentation uses Wolfram's Mathematica fonts which I find being
>> very clear.
>
> looks nice indeed; are there open type variants of those?

By the way, the Mathematica fonts can be downloaded from (type1 and ttf)
http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/windows/general/latestfonts.en.html
I'm not sure if that is helpful for anyone, since there are no metric
files or whatever (they go with the TeX tree that is shipped with
Mathematica)

Mikael