[NTG-context] Problems with Palatino sans serif

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 13:33:51 CEST 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>> I don't know the cure. The same thing happens to me with or without
>> \usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]. I have noticed that a map file that is
>> present in TeX Liven 2007 is missing in TeX Live 2008 (also using
>> MacTeX with some random version of ConTeXt).
>
> The missing mapfile (ec-urw-palatino) is completely harmless.
> The file exists in the context minimals, and it contains the map
> lines for texfont-installed urw palatino metrics.
>
> But in texlive & mactex texfont is not used, these distributions
> use the berry names for the font metrics. Using these metrics
> is triggered  by a \usetypescript[berry] in cont-sys.rme, and
> the associated fontmap definitions are in (the also automatically
> loaded) ec-base.map.
>
> So it is just a spurious warning.
>
>> But what's also really annoying and might be connected - all my
>> accented letters written in palatino (URWPalladio) are gone (š is ok,
>> č looses accent, ž disappears, fi ligatures turn into some weird
>> accents ...) when I post-process the document with Adobe Acrobat in
>> order to reduce document size by downsampling photos.
>
> For this, can you send me a private message with before & after set
> of pdfs?

I have been trying to create a minimal example. Now that's bad:
minimal example works OK with the same set of settings and same text.
It's only the 60-pages document that fails.

I'll send you the link, but it could just as well be that it's a bug in Acrobat.

> If possible, ones generated with \nopdfcompression (because
> that is easier to debug).

How can I uncompress the files generated by Adobe?

> Afaict, it is unrelated to this problem,
> but still definately a bug.

I only wonder if it's a bug in ConTeXt or Acrobat ... If it was a
problem with maps or whatever, single-page example should have failed
already.

>> I tried to switch to TeXGyre, but then all the line/page breaks are
>> broken.
>
> This is unavoidable, texgyre simply has different metrics from the
> URW version of the fonts.

I'm fully aware of that :(
But I could think about that a few weeks ago.

Mojca