[NTG-context] Problems with Palatino sans serif

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 16:40:39 CEST 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> http://www.mars2008.si/taco/
>>
>>> If possible, ones generated with \nopdfcompression (because
>>> that is easier to debug). Afaict, it is unrelated to this problem,
>>> but still definately a bug.
>>
>> The file is 26MB now. I will try to see what I can do to cut it down
>> to some smaller size & still showing the bug, before filling the disk
>> quota :) :) :) by sending uncompressed PDF.
>
> I fetched the files (so you can delete them) and I am tempted to
> believe this is an AR (distiller) bug, because the /Encoding in
> the generated PDF is incomplete, and it was probably correct
> in the z-before.pdf (I did not decompress the file, but it must
> have been ok, otherwise that file would have displayed incorrectly
> as well).
>
> The "Slanted" entry in the z-after.pdf has:
>
> 341 0 obj
> <</Subtype/Type1
>   /FontDescriptor 344 0 R
>   /LastChar 246
>   /Widths 343 0 R
>   /BaseFont/HFKCGX+URWPalladioL-Roma-Slant_167
>   /FirstChar 2
>   /ToUnicode 340 0 R
>   /Encoding 342 0 R
>   /Type/Font
>  >>
> endobj
> 342 0 obj
> <</Differences
>   [46/period 53/five 71/G 80/P 84/T 97/a 101/e
>   104/h/i/j/k/l/m/n/o 114/r/s/t 121/y]
>   /BaseEncoding/WinAnsiEncoding
>   /Type/Encoding
>  >>
> endobj
> 344 0 obj
> <</StemV 84
>   /FontName/HFKCGX+URWPalladioL-Roma-Slant_167
>   /FontFile 339 0 R
>   /Flags 4
>   /Descent -282
>   /FontBBox[-166 -283 1021 943]
>   /Ascent 715/CapHeight 680/XHeight 469
>   /ItalicAngle -9
>   /CharSet(/A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/Scaron/T/U/V/W/Z\
>           /Zcaron/a/b/bracketleft/bracketright/c/caron/colon/comma\
>           /d/e/eacute/eight/endash/exclam/f/fi/
>           /five/four/g/guillemotleft\
>           /guillemotright/h/hyphen/i/j/k/l/m/n/nine/o/odieresis/one\
>           /parenleft/parenright/period/question/r/s/scaron/seven/six\
>           /t/three/two/u/v/y/z/zcaron/zero)
>   /Type/FontDescriptor
>  >>
> endobj
>

> Notice the big difference between the /Differences and the /CharSet.
> Despite the name of /Differences, this normally lists all the glyphs
> in the subset. When I manually add
>
>   14/Zcaron/zcaron
>
> at the start of /Differences, then suddenly the slanted accented z-s
> reappear.
>
> I suspect Acrobat Pro gets confused about the encoding because it
> probably has to merge more than one subset into a single one. Perhaps
> it believes all encodings are equal. This you could test by looking
> at an uncompressed generated pdf's Font objects in a text editor.

!PS-AdobeFont-1.0: URWPalladioL-Roma 1.05%%CreationDate: Wed Dec 22
1999% Copyright (URW)++,Copyright 1999 by (URW)++ Design &
Development% (URW)++,Copyright 1999 by (URW)++ Design & Development%
See the file COPYING (GNU General Public License) for license
conditions.% As a special exception, permission is granted to include
this font% program in a Postscript or PDF file that consists of a
document that% contains text to be displayed or printed using this
font, regardless% of the conditions or license applying to the
document itself.12 dict begin/FontInfo 10 dict dup begin/version
(1.05) readonly def/Notice ((URW)++,Copyright 1999 by (URW)++ Design &
Development. See the file COPYING (GNU General Public License) for
license conditions. As a special exception, permission--> is granted
to include this font program in a Postscript or PDF file that consists
of a document that contains text to be displayed or printed using this
font, regardless--> of the conditions or license applying to the
document itself.) readonly def
/Copyright (Copyright (URW)++,Copyright 1999 by (URW)++ Design &
Development) readonly def
/FullName (URW Palladio L Roman) readonly def
/FamilyName (URW Palladio L) readonly def
/Weight (Roman) readonly def
/ItalicAngle -9.4809 def
/isFixedPitch false def
/UnderlinePosition -100 def
/UnderlineThickness 50 def
end readonly def
/FontName /HFKCGX+URWPalladioL-Roma-Slant_167 def
/PaintType 0 def
/WMode 0 def
/FontBBox {-166 -283 1021 943} readonly def
/FontType 1 def
/FontMatrix [0.001 0 0.000167 0.001 0 0 ] readonly def
/Encoding StandardEncoding def
currentdict end
currentfile eexec

And then "(nova.)-466(\016eleli)" for "nova. Želeli" where Ž is missing.

I can at least do a bissection. Maybe some included PDF image is
confusing things.

Mojca