[NTG-context] problem scaling big png images

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Nov 13 13:53:57 CET 2008

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have problems with scaling of big png images. Scaling works ok with
> XeTeX, but fails with both pdfTeX and LuaTeX, so it might be a problem
> in the engine, not necessary in ConTeXt. The image comes out with
> several cm white border when it should occupy the whole page.
>
> Here are the testing files (temporary location):
>      http://www.mars2008.si/context/
>
> \defineoverlay [MyGraphic] [{\externalfigure[graphic][heigh=\paperheight]}]
> \setupbackgrounds[page][background=MyGraphic]
> \starttext
> whatever
> \stoptext
>
> + a big png graphic. When I decrease resolution, the white border
> around graphic shrinks.
>
> Mojca
>
> pdfTeX 3.1415926-1.40.9-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.7)
> This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.30.2-2008102016, build unknown
> MtxRun | current version: 2008.11.10 21:40
> (same problem on TL)

you have a typo:

   [heigh=\paperheight]

   must be: height (add a t)

the three versions are now unscaled:

  3.653.484 luatex.pdf
  3.672.711 pdftex.pdf
  5.498.535 xetex.pdf
  3.654.573 graphic.png

although xetex seem sto do something funny with the image (it's the
slowest of the three runs so maybe some resampling takes place)