[NTG-context] Simple questions on fonts and how to center vertically

Mildred Ki'Lya mildred593 at online.fr
Sun Nov 16 11:31:05 CET 2008

Hi,

I would like to create a document where the first page contains a title
and a subtitle. The title would be in bold face, and the subtitle in
italics. The font size would be something bigger than 12 points and
those would be centered vertically on the page (with a bit of space
between them).

After some readings, I came up with the following solution:

% ------------------------------------------------------------------

\font\titlefont=cmbx12 scaled\magstep3

% Header
\setupheadertexts[\vbox{
  \ifodd\pagenumber
    \hfil{\sc{a Title}}\hfil\hfil\pagenumber\hfil
  \else
    \hfil\pagenumber\hfil\hfil{\sc{author}}\hfil
  \fi
  \break
  \vbox{\hfil\hrulefill\hfil}
}]

% Start front page
\eject\nobreak\vfill

% Title
{\titlefont
  \centerline{a Title}
  \vskip 1em
}

\vfil % Leave some space between

% Subtitle
{\titlefont\it
  \centerline{a Subtitle}
  \vskip 1em
}

% Stop Front Page
\nobreak\vfill\eject

\end

% ------------------------------------------------------------------

The problems are:
* It is not centered vertically
* The subtitle is not as big as I would have expected
* There is not enough space between the title and the subtitle

Can you come up with a better solution?

Ideally, I would like to have the font size changed in a way so the
control sequences like \it, \bf ... continue to work as expected.

Something I could use like:

{Some normal text \magnify{3} three times magnified text \it the same
size in italics \bf Three times magnified, bold and italics \dots}

It seems I also have troubles getting the TeX box model right.
Previously, I tried to create a ruler below the ruler and it took me
time to figure out how to display it. Naive implementation seamed not
to work. Especially, i don't understand why the \hfil\hrulefill\hfil
should be inserted in a \vbox.

Is there some documentation somewhere explaining that?

Thanks.

Mildred

--
Mildred Ki'Lya