[NTG-context] modifying URL wrapping rules

Lars Huttar lars_huttar at sil.org
Thu Nov 20 14:19:26 CET 2008

On 11/20/2008 2:29 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Lars Huttar wrote:
>> On 11/19/2008 2:35 PM, Lars Huttar wrote:
>>> However, I have a few unsolved problems here.
>>>
>>> 1) I don't see a way, with the '\sethyphenatedurlbefore' or 'after'
>>> mechanism, to tell it not to break a URL between two slashes, as in
>>> "http://". At first I thought that since our text only had a few URLs,
>>> we'd likely never care. But ... you guessed it. One URL got broken
>>> between the slashes: "http:/
>>> /www.sil.org/..."
>> I found a way to deal with this... Based on a tip from
>> http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/language/latex/latex03-LaTexUsage/ar01s04.html,
>> I used
>> 	{\lefthyphenmin=64 http://}\hyphenatedurl{www.sil.org/...}
>> It seems to work in practice -- hyphenation and breaking are disabled
>> for the "http://" chunk. And hyphenation seems to successfully resume
>> afterwards.
>> This also fixes the problem of a URL breaking before the "//".
>>
>> The other problems are still outstanding though (wanting to break a URL
>> after a slash, not before; and before a hyphen, not after).
>>
>> Thanks for any ideas...
>
> cleaner than the lefthyphenmin hackery .,..
>
> {\hbox{http://}\hyphenatedurl{www.sil.org/...

Thank you!

> in context mkiv i can provide a hyphenater based on the url syntax
> (after all, mkiv already has an analyser for urls)

That would be great, but as I understand it, using mkiv would require us
to move to a beta version of ConTeXt... and we're right at the end (we
hope!) of a production cycle, where moving to any new version (whether
beta or not) could cost us a lot of time if any behavior changes.

So while I would be glad to see a hyphenator based on URL syntax, I
don't think a mkiv version won't help us this time.

Lars