[NTG-context] Unicode Characters

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 21 00:53:30 CET 2008

Am 20.11.2008 um 15:16 schrieb Erich R Fickel:

>> This is one of the famous Zapf dingbats, available in dedicated
>> fonts;
>> you don't really need Unicode fonts in order to typeset it.
>> Try the instructions by Adam Lindsay
>>
>> http://web.archive.org/web/20061130021250/homepage.mac.com/atl/tex/ZapfDingbats.pdf)
>
> Thank you for the very quick answer. I read Mr. Lindsay's instruction.
> It worked, and quite easily. I also tried to just use the character in
> mkiv. That didn't work. However, in mkii, I tried the following:
>
> \usesymbols[uzd]
> \definecharacter crosssign    {\uchar{39}{29}}
> \starttext
>
> Here is the \crosssign\ in a sentence.
>
> \stoptext
>
> That worked too, and seems easier.
>
> I would like to figure it out it mkiv as well. I type the character in
> VIM, but it showed up as a space in the PDF.

\def\crosssign{\utfchar{"271D}}

You need only a font the symbol, if you have one there are different
ways to use it.

The simple solution:

\definefont[unicode][name:unicodesymbols*default]

\def\crosssign{\utfchar{"271D}}

\starttext

text {\unicode\crosssign} text

\stoptext

You can also include the font in the defintion of \crosssign.

The advanced solution:

\def\crosssign{\utfchar{"271D}}

\definefontsynonym[UnicodeSymbols][name:unicodesymbols*default]

\definefontfallback[symbols][UnicodeSymbols][dingbats]

\starttypescript [serif] [mine]
   \definefontsynonym [Serif] [TeXGyrePagella-Regular]
[fallbacks=symbols]
\stoptypescript

\definetypeface [mine] [rm] [serif] [mine] [default]

\setupbodyfont[mine]

\starttext

text \crosssign\ text

\stoptext

You need a few more lines for the setup because you need
a new typescript.

Wolfgang