[NTG-context] modifying URL wrapping rules

Lars Huttar lars_huttar at sil.org
Fri Nov 21 16:35:28 CET 2008

On 11/21/2008 2:22 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Lars Huttar wrote:
>> On 11/19/2008 2:35 PM, Lars Huttar wrote:
>>> 2) Even though I have "\sethyphenatedurlafter /" instead of
>>> "\sethyphenatedurlbefore /", there are four cases where a URL is broken
>>> before a slash, e.g.:
>>> http://www.sil.org/.../009
>>> /YAMBASSA.html.
>>> and no cases where a URL is broken after a slash (except when it's also
>>> before a slash -- see 1).
>>>
>>> I wonder if my modifications are actually taking effect?
>>> Do I need to compile the changes to the .mkii file or something? I tried
>>> texexec.bat --make --all, but that didn't seem to change the outcome.
>> Can someone tell me if there's a compile command necessary for mkii?
>
> texexec --make

Thanks for your reply...
OK, I did that. Behavior with respect to the two outstanding problems
(breaking after hyphen and before slash) has not changed.
But it's good to know that it's not due to some dependencies not being
updated.

> however, i strongly advise you to put such patches or tuning in your
> document style because otherwise you loose them when you update

Understood. A colleague tells me that if I put the
\sethyphenatedurlbefore/after settings in the .tex document they will
override the settings in lang-url.mkii, which is very good news.

So if lang-url.mkii says
	\sethyphenatedurlbefore \letterbar
I can comment that line out in lang-url.mkii; but if I don't want to
modify lang-url.mkii, can I accomplish the same thing by putting
	\sethyphenatedurlnormal \letterbar
in my .tex file?

>> \ifx\normalquitvmode\undefined \else \let\dontleavehmode\normalquitvmode \fi
>>
>> I am running Xetex, FWIW.
>> "This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.999.6 (Web2C 7.5.7)"
>>
>> The above makes me think that "dontleavehmode" should prevent any
>> 'hyphenation' except for the types explicitly allowed in lang-url.mkii
>> via \sethyphenatedurlafter/before/normal.
>
> just leave dontleavehmode untouched; it's definition adapts itself to
> the engine
>
> i leave it to others to react on the rest of your mail (some users have
> been tuning the mechanism too)

I would be very glad to hear from said users who have had any success.
I'm emailing Steffen and Aditya now.

Actually, just now looking at lang-url.tex I see the comments

%D For those who want to put full \URL's in a text, we offer
%D
%D \startbuffer
%D
\hyphenatedurl{http://optimist.optimist/optimist/optimist.optimist#optimist}
%D \stopbuffer
%D
%D \typebuffer

which makes me wonder if I need to put the
\startbuffer,\stopbuffer,\typebuffer commands in my tex code. But I
think maybe it's markup for generating documentation.
If so, I wonder why I can't find such generated documentation on
\hyphenatedurl.

Lars