[NTG-context] How to use Minion Pro

Fengnan Gao fnsteed at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 3 04:08:22 CET 2008

Hi all,

I'm learning how to use ConTeXt recently, and I find difficulty using Minion Pro, which can  be fully accessed using XeTeX. Here is how I use Minion Pro, and as far as I can see, there is no problem with the setup.

\starttypescript[all][myfont][name]
        \definefontsynonym[Minion][MinionPro-Regular]
        \definefontsynonym[MinionBold][MinionPro-Bold]
        \definefontsynonym[MinionItalic][MinionPro-It]
        \definefontsynonym[MinionBoldItalic][MinionPro-BoldIt]
        \definefontsynonym[Myriad][MyriadPro-Regular]
        \definefontsynonym[MyriadBold][MyriadPro-Bold]
        \definefontsynonym[MyriadItalic][MyriadPro-It]
        \definefontsynonym[MyriadBoldItalic][MyriadPro-BoldIt]
\stoptypescript

\definefontfeature[minion][language=dflt, script=latn, mode=node,
                           frac=yes, onum=yes, kern=yes, liga=yes, dlig=yes,
                           protrusion=quality, expansion=quality]
\definefontfeature[minionsmcp][language=dflt, script=latn, mode=node,
                               frac=yes, onum=yes, kern=yes, liga=yes, dlig=yes, smcp=yes,
                               protrusion=quality, expansion=quality]
\definefontfeature[myriad][language=dflt, script=latn, mode=node,
                           frac=yes, onum=yes, kern=yes, liga=yes, zero=yes,
                           protrusion=quality, expansion=quality]

\starttypescript[serif][myfont][name]
        \definefontsynonym[Serif][Minion][features=minion]
        \definefontsynonym[SerifBold][MinionBold][features=minion]
        \definefontsynonym[SerifItalic][MinionItalic][features=minion]
        \definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic][MinionBoldItalic][features=minion]
        \definefontsynonym[SerifSlanted][MinionItalic][features=minion]
        \definefontsynonym[SerifBoldSlanted][MinionBoldItalic][features=minion]
        \definefontsynonym[SerifCaps][MinionBold][features=minionsmcp]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[sans][myfont][name]
        \definefontsynonym[Sans][Myriad][features=myriad]
        \definefontsynonym[SansBold][MyriadBold][features=myriad]
        \definefontsynonym[SansItalic][MyriadItalic][features=myriad]
        \definefontsynonym[SansBoldItalic][MyriadBoldItalic][features=myriad]
        \definefontsynonym[SansSlanted][MyriadItalic][features=myriad]
        \definefontsynonym[SansBoldSlanted][MyriadBoldItalic][features=myriad]
        \definefontsynonym[SansCaps][Myriad][features=myriad]
\stoptypescript

\definetypeface [myfont] [rm] [serif] [myfont]   [default]
\definetypeface [myfont] [ss] [sans] [myfont]   [default]
\usetypescript[myfont]

And I found there problems with the font.

1).  Even though I tried to access the otf features (as you can see in my code), but I cannot access that (but I have successfully accessed the Minion Pro font)

2). I cannot use ``--'' to produce an *endash*.

3). I cannot use *``* to produce an leftquote and *''* an right quote.

Can someone help me?

Thanks.

Cheers

Fengnan Gao