[NTG-context] mpost finds BAD TFM

Hans van der Meer H.vanderMeer at uva.nl
Mon Dec 22 19:08:54 CET 2008

NASTY PROBLEM WITH READING TFM FILES IN LATEST METAPOST

A nasty problem has surfaced that Taco Hoekwater cannot solve, because
it does not occur on his system. My system is Apple Macintosh 10.5.6
and I am using the command "sh build.sh" to compile metapost-1.101.

After compiling and generating with "mpost --ini mpost" the error
message below result when calling "make" in the manual-directory of
the distribution. It signals a bad tfm file, I guess because the wrong
number of bytes is read. Some 16/32/64 bit issue perhaps? Taco has not
found it and as his compile now runs "lint-free" it is difficult to
imagine what can be wrong.
Are there people in this group (preferably on Macintosh) who find the
same thing happening? And then are far more apt with debuggers than I
am?

Many thanks in advance.
Hans van der Meer

This says the logfile of the mpost run, the programcode involved is
from source file tfmin.w:

This is MetaPost, version 1.101 (kpathsea version 3.5.7) (mem=mpost
2008.12.22)  22 DEC 2008 17:53
**mpman
(/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/metapost/base/boxes.mp)
! Font cmr10 not usable: TFM file is bad.
_s->...oup.addto._p.also(EXPR2)infont(EXPR3)scaled

(EXPR4)shifted((EXPR5),(EX...
<argument> ..._n0="cmr10";_s("Figures",_n0,1,0,0,)
                                                  ;_s
("in",_n0,1,35.3674,0,)...

beginbox_->...UFFIX2):=nullpicture;for._p_=(TEXT3)
                                                  :pic_
(SUFFIX2):=if.picture...

boxit->..."boxpath_","sizebox_",(SUFFIX2),(TEXT3))
                                                  ;generic_declare
(pair)_n.s...
l.26 ....aa(btex \place{Figures in MetaPost} etex)
                                                  ;