[NTG-context] mpost finds BAD TFM

Hans van der Meer H.vanderMeer at uva.nl
Mon Dec 22 21:52:52 CET 2008

On 22 dec 2008, at 20:52, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008, Hans van der Meer wrote:
>
>> NASTY PROBLEM WITH READING TFM FILES IN LATEST METAPOST
>>
>> A nasty problem has surfaced that Taco Hoekwater cannot solve,
>> because it does not occur on his system. My system is Apple
>> Macintosh 10.5.6 and I am using the command "sh build.sh" to
>> compile metapost-1.101.
>>
>> After compiling and generating with "mpost --ini mpost" the error
>> message below result when calling "make" in the manual-directory of
>> the distribution. It signals a bad tfm file, I guess because the
>> wrong number of bytes is read. Some 16/32/64 bit issue perhaps?
>> Taco has not found it and as his compile now runs "lint-free" it is
>> difficult to imagine what can be wrong.
>> Are there people in this group (preferably on Macintosh) who find
>> the same thing happening? And then are far more apt with debuggers
>> than I am?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance.
>> Hans van der Meer
>>

>> This says the logfile of the mpost run, the programcode involved is
>> from source file tfmin.w:
>>
>> This is MetaPost, version 1.101 (kpathsea version 3.5.7) (mem=mpost
>> 2008.12.22)  22 DEC 2008 17:53
>> **mpman
>
> Why is mpost 1.101 being used? The minimals have 1.110, so the
> sources should be more recent. Could the error be due to something
> wrong in the $PATH?
>
> Aditya

The answer is: I took the latest stable version dated december 11,
2008 from http://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/metapost/ and that says
1.101. I do not work with minimals and I avoid beta's too. But the
version I tried above came from branch/1.1 in the svn repository and
was tried because Taco requested it in relation to the above problem.

Hans van der Meer