[NTG-context] Questions on \definition

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 18 23:58:58 CET 2012

Am 18.01.2012 um 23:39 schrieb Kip Warner:

> On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 09:26 +0100, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Am 18.01.2012 um 02:47 schrieb Kip Warner:
>>
>>> Ah, so \setupdescriptions inherits the default values of
>>> \definedescription?
>>
>> WIth \definedescription you create a new command (e.g. \definition) and environment (e.g. \startdefinition  \stopdefinition).
>>
>> With \setupdescriptions you can afterwards change the values of the previous defined command/environment.
>>
>> Each new created command has always default values for the location, style and color of the title etc. which be either changed when you create the command (\definedescription[][..,.=.,..]) or afterwards (\setupdescriptions[][..,.=.,..]).
>>
>> Wolfgang
>
> Thanks Wolfgang. I kind of understand. But when you say "create a new
> command", how does ConTeXt know what the command does?

The following is only a simplified explanation.

When you define a new command with \definedescription, e.g. \definedescription[definition] you get the commands

    \definition

and

   \startdefinition

Both are only shortcuts for \dodescription[definition] and \dostartdescription[definition], as you can see the internal command tells context that it’s dealing with a description and “definition” is only the name of the instance.

Wolfgang