[NTG-context] "overscored" or "overlined" text … (or whatever it should be called)

Robert Blackstone blackstone.robert at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 13:14:43 CET 2012

Dear all,

I am trying to reproduce with ConTeXt an old french text that contains numerous abbreviations, mostly of two types:
- words cut off by means of a "period", with the last letter of the complete word as a superscript above the period.
- "overscores"
  --either for single characters, for instance in words with double consonances, like "comme". One of these is sometimes omitted and replaced by an "overscore" on the previous vowel
  -- or on an entire abbreviation, such as "coe" for "comme" and "nre" for "notre"; they become coe and nre overscored.

Now I would like to reproduce these as closely as possible.

For the "period + superscript letter" I found  a solution: \lohi[]{\cdot}{t} (for superscript t), nearly perfect. The only imperfection I can see is that the dot sits slightly below the baseline. Is there a way to get it on the baseline?

The overscore on a single character presents no problem.

For an overscore on a complete word I have not found a solution.
Three individual overscores on a three-letter word give a broken line; I do not know how to merge the three line components. (Incidentally, this hack does not work with mkiv)

The other solution I have tried is to put the word in a frame with a top-frame only. But this way the word (abbreviation) hangs underneath the base-line.
Using \inframed instead of \framed  makes no difference. There appears not to be something like \setupinframed.

I have attached an example.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Robert Blackstone