[NTG-context] no liga with Brill font

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Tue Feb 7 23:10:40 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 10:20:55PM +0100, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> there is a zero-cost font (not available for commercial works without
> previous permission) from Brill (http://www.brill.nl/news/brill-typeface).
>
> Standard ligatures such as fi and fl don't work:
>
> 	\usemodule[simplefonts]
> 	\definefontfeature[default][default][script=latn]
> 	\setmainfont[Brill]
> 	\starttext
> 	fi fl ff ffi ffl
> 	\stoptext
>
> The glyphs are defined (ff, fi, fl, ffi, ffl), but when I test ligatures with
> FontForge (Ctrl+K) these glyphs aren't used and single substitution
> lookups in different subtables are performed for the different ligatures
> (actually no ligatures are used).

The font seems to be using contextual substitution instead of regular
ligatures (so the ligature glyphs are not really used, but alternate f’s
and i’s etc. are used instead to give the same effect, quite helpful if
you want to color only part of the ligature), so you may node to set
mode to node:

\definefontfeature[default][default][script=latn,mode=node]

However, your example works here without any modifications (I added
color commands just to showcase the usefulness of this approach).

\usemodule[simplefonts]
\definefontfeature[default][default][script=latn]
\setmainfont[Brill]
\def\r#1{\color[red]{#1}}
\def\b#1{\color[blue]{#1}}
\starttext
\r{f}\b{i} \r{f}\b{l} \b{f}\r{f} \b{f}f\r{i} \r{f}\b{f}\r{l}
\stoptext

Regards,
 Khaled