[NTG-context] Is it possible to \cite with UPPERCASED author?

Wagner Macedo wagnerluis1982 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 20:27:27 CET 2012

On 10 February 2012 12:33, Thomas A. Schmitz <thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de>wrote:

> 1. Edit a local copy of cont-au.bst and insert a function that will make
> the author name uppercase. bst is infamous for its incomprehensible syntax,
> but it appears to be possible. this would be the proper way. google is your
> friend here.

Yes, very incomprehensible. And another thing, I couldn't find any
"authoryear" word inside bst files. I think it usefulness is only for
publications list.

>  2. ConTeXt produces a .bbl file from which it retrieves the
> bibliographical information. The authorname used in the \cite command is
> captured in a key=value of the form
> a={{Hagen}},
> Write a simple lua script which will make the captured name uppercase and
> write everything out to a new file. Then, in your preamble, replace the
> \setupbibtex[database=...] line with
> \usepublications[<name>.bbl]
> So this is something you would do at the very end of the editing process,
> when you're sure that all the references are in the bbl file.

Thank you. It's the best solution to my problem. But I'll do a Python or
Bash script to do this, as I'm more used to those languages, and I'll add
as a target on my Makefile.

> It may also be possible to hook a lua function into the process when
> ConTeXt typesets the value from the bbl, but that's beyond my knowledge,
> Hans is the only one who knows the internals of the mkiv bib mechanism well
> enough to say if/how this may work.

I found something into bibl-bib.lua, and I tried to change but didn't
result in anything. So, it's a black box.