[NTG-context] Cross-referencing Challenge

S Barmeier severinbarmeier at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 15 01:19:28 CEST 2012

On 04/15/2012 07:44 AM, Aaron W. Hsu wrote:
> Hey All:
>
> I am very new to ConTeXt, but I am trying to use it to achieve a format
> similar to what you can get from WEB systems. Right now I am working on
> the definitions of chunks and their cross references.  I have three main
> macros:
>
> \defchunk   Definining a new chunk \chunk      Referencing a chunk by name
> \stopchunk  Ending a chunk definition
>
> Here is an example:
>
> \defchunk{This is a name}
> Some text /BTEX\chunk{Other stuff}/ETEX goes here.
> And here.
> \stopchunk
>
> \defchunk{Other stuff}
> Something else \stopchunk
>
> \defchunk{This is a name}
> Some other stuff.
> \stopchunk
>
> Now, at the end, let's say that each of these appears in sections 1, 2,
> and 3, respectively.  The output I am looking for, in Unicode, might look
> like this:
>
> ⟨This is a name 1⟩≡
>   Some text ⟨Other stuff 2⟩ goes here.
>   And here.
> ──
> See also section 3.
>
> ⟨Other stuff 2⟩≡
>   Something else
> ──
> This code is used in section 1.
>
> ⟨This is a name 1⟩≡
>   Some other stuff.
> ──
>
> So here, there are really three things that I want to achieve.  I need to
> be able to get a list of all of the sections wherein a given chunk is
> referenced using \chunk, a list of all the sections where a section of the
> same name is defined, and finally, be able to tell in which section the
> first occurrence of a chunk is defined.
>
> How can I accomplish this?

Have you had a look at the reference manual? Chapter 13 on descriptions
will show you how to define something like

\definedescription[chunk][location=serried,titlestyle=\bf]

which you then should be able to use as

\chunk[name1]{This is a name}

For referencing (chapter 12), use \in for pointing to the relevant
section, \at[name1] for a page number.

\definedescription[chunk]
\starttext
\input tufte
\section[s1]{One section}
\chunk[c1]{A chunk}
\input ward \par
\input tufte
\startchunk[c2]{A long chunk}
\input ward
\input tufte
\stopchunk
In section \in[s1] on page \at[c1], we defined the first chunk.
\stoptext

You can style this with \setupdesription[chunk][...=...] or directly in
the definition.

Enjoy =)
Severin