[NTG-context] MLA Bibliography

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Tue Apr 17 00:47:23 CEST 2012

On Sat, 2012-04-14 at 05:51 +0200, Jaroslav Hajtmar wrote:
> Hi Kip ...
> I had a similar problem with a bibliography. Supervisor of thesis wants
> to have a bibliography in a specific format (sorted AMS like) in which
> it can not produce the ConTeXt.

Hey Jaroslav. No surprise =(

> Maybe this is just because I am a bit stupid and I could not correct the
> bibliography in ConTeXt and run something similar to what I wanted none
> of the conference met, so no one could help me. I finally after many
> hours of experiments on all bibliography resigned and I made myself a
> simple tool for typesetting bibliographies. But it is only a virtue of
> necessity and bibliography entries I we entered all on the line (ie,
> exactly how it should look in the list of bibliography), ie. I do that
> without specifying a style author = someone, title = foo, etc.

I'm very close to doing something similar. I wish the wiki had been more
clear that ConTeXt's bibliography module is not really ready for
professional use.

> That is
> to say that if you do not need to have the bibliography in the format in
> which we would expect from BibTeX, so I suggest to do it my way (I mean
> the format of bibliographic entries in text, sorting items, etc..) All
> of this can be done in Lua. In printed form, nobody will know that this
> is actually done "manually" without "BibTeX" ...
> Originally I thought that I can not do, but eventually everything turned
> out well. It is true that the bibliographic citations in the work is not
> so much (about a hundred).

Thanks for your feedback Jaroslav. I'm sure you'll have a suggestion or
two after you see the mess I am having to deal with in the book I am
working on. =)

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred