[NTG-context] New version of ConTeXt package for Notepad++ available

Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد ishamid at colostate.edu
Wed Apr 18 22:14:59 CEST 2012

Dear Gang,

I have made a new ConTeXt package for Notepad++ (Npp). Unfortunately the
wiki is not letting me update the zip file (Patrick? Mojca?):

"Upload warning | Files of the MIME type "application/zip" are not allowed
to be uploaded."

So for now, here is a dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k77ggveqdkfrevk/Npp-ConTeXt-120418.zip

==========================
The zip contains two directories:

1) \AppData\Roaming\Notepad++
2) \Program Files (x86)\Notepad++

AFTER you install Npp, copy the folder 1) into

C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming

And copy folder 2 into

C:\Program Files (x86)

if your system is 64-bit, and into

C:\Program Files

if it is 32-bit.

XP directory structure uses "\Application Data" instead of \AppData. There
may be other things to watch out for (I use Vista).

Important: Back up your contextMenu.xml whenever you update to a newer
version of Npp proper. For some reason, Npp overrides the user-defined
contextMenu.xml and replaces it with the default. In fact, it's a good
idea to back up your \Roaming\Notepad++ directory whenever you update Npp
itself to a new version.

Notes:

1. This updated package contains a new feature: You can wrap selected text
with ConTeXt tags. Just select some text and right-click: Then choose what
you want to do to the text. This has already saved me lots of time in my
own writing, and lessens the risks of brace-mismatch etc.

It also works if no text is selected.

2. You can also start projects, components, etc from the right-click menu.

3. You'll see the ConTeXt command shortcuts under the Macro menu. They
used to be the same as Hans's Scite setup, but there are probably some
differences now. I'll look at this matter later.

4. In future versions I may get rid of any and all references to mkii;
deadenders ;-) can make their own shortcuts etc. But I am gearing this
package towards new users who should not have to deal with mkii at all.

5. The toolbar has been modified. You can use the Customize Toolbar menu
to bring back some default Npp buttons that I removed, etc.

6. The ConTeXt icons are quick and dirty. I welcome help from anyone who
would like to help me with some nicer 16x16 ConTeXt icons. Eventually I
want to expand this to a much richer palette of buttons.

7. Tooltips for commands are supported, but right now there is only one
implemented:

\startitemize[]

Try it!

Eventually I want to have descriptions of all autocomplete commands,
literally at your fingertips in the editor!
========================

This is still a work in progress. There are a few missing commands from
autocompletion/syntax highlighting, and there may be a private command or
two of mine lurking in the highlighting.

Eventually I want to move most of the functionality of this package to a
lexer. I have used the extensive plugin/user-defined functionalities of
Npp to get this package far, but a dedicated lexer-plugin would be the
ideal thing. Any volunteers more than welcome, since lexer writing is
outside of my skill-set.

Once this is uploaded to the wiki I'll remove the dropbox link.

Have fun! and

Best wishes
Idris
International Journal of Shīʿī Studies