[NTG-context] Is there some easy way to do tufte-style side note?

S Barmeier severinbarmeier at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 22 09:33:46 CEST 2012

(http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20110906.202722.f501f115.en.html)
> but it's just too simple and cannot be used for production. Side notes
> will cluttered or fall out of pages.
>
> LaTeX does provide a good solution for this style. I am wondering if
> this is possible to do in context.
>
> I am also curious to know simple way to do multiple float style in
> ConTeXt (like graphics spanning text and margin and many others).
>
> Yue Wang

Well, I am no powerful ConTeXt user, but \inmargin and derivatives
(\inouter \ininner \inright \inleft) have an option stack=yes to avoid
overlapping and stack=continue to avoid ... overlapping. As I understand
it, the former is for shorter margin notes, the latter for use with
paragraph-sized notes.

There is also \startmarginblock ... \stopmarginblock and it exceed my
ConTeXt user powers to be able to tell you the difference. My guess is,
that this type of margin note is a block, which maybe enjoys features of
textblocks...? But I, too, would be interested to understand the
difference in any detail.

I also use margin notes extensively (or at least hope the final version
of my document will be able to), but as of now, there seems to be no way
to float margin notes to the top/bottom of the page and no way to
prevent longer notes, attached to a line near the bottom of a page, to
exceed the margin and be typeset even beyond the page boundaries...
(Forgive me, if I'm wrong).

Severin