[NTG-context] Should command `\setnumber' print number in text?

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 14:23:56 CEST 2012

Hello Wolfgang,

** Wolfgang Schuster [2012-04-29 09:16:38 +0200]:

> Am 29.04.2012 um 08:13 schrieb Vladimir Lomov:

>> Hello,
>> I faced with following behavior of `\setnumber' command, consider the
>> example:

>> <example file="ex1.tex">
>> \setupbodyfont[computer-modern-unicode,12pt]

>> \definenumber[course]
>> \setnumber[course]{3}

>> \starttext
>> Hello.
>> \stoptext
>> </example>

>> Processing by context (ConTeXt  ver: 2012.04.26 22:27 MKIV  fmt:
>> 2012.4.28  int: english/english) I get PDF with number 3 typeset on line
>> above Hello.

>> Is it expected behavior? If yes, how can I increase/set value for
>> "number"-command (counter) then?

>> P.S. I tried with commented `\setupbodyfont', all is ok. Is it mean that
>> command is deprecated?

> There was a change in the \setupnumber command for MkIV and you need now brackets for both arguments, e.g. \setupnumber[course][3].

> Wolfgang
Thank you Wolfgang, `\setupnumber' works.

Just to clarify question (before update wiki): is `\setnumber' command
obsolete and `\setupnumber' should be used instead?

I'm also reading "dev-context", some time ago there were discussion about
`\definestructure...', in message `<4F737D98.5040600 at wxs.nl>' Hans shown
several `\let' commands, from that I thought that `\setnumber' is ok to
use with `[]{}'.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
What does it take for Americans to do great things; to go to the moon, to
win wars, to dig canals linking oceans, to build railroads across a continent?
In independent thought about this question, Neil Armstrong and I concluded
that it takes a coincidence of four conditions, or in Neil's view, the
simultaneous peaking of four of the many cycles of American life.  First, a
base of technology must exist from which to do the thing to be done.  Second,
a period of national uneasiness about America's place in the scheme of human
activities must exist.  Third, some catalytic event must occur that focuses
the national attention upon the direction to proceed.  Finally, an articulate
and wise leader must sense these first three conditions and put forth with
words and action the great thing to be accomplished.  The motivation of young
Americans to do what needs to be done flows from such a coincidence of
conditions. ...  The Thomas Jeffersons, The Teddy Roosevelts, The John
Kennedys appear.  We must begin to create the tools of leadership which they,
and their young frontiersmen, will require to lead us onward and upward.
		-- Dr. Harrison H. Schmidt