[NTG-context] Problem with \inmargin on \item lines

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed May 2 10:07:04 CEST 2012

On 2-5-2012 06:33, Malte Stien wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am experiencing a problem with \inmargin{some text} in \itemized lists. I am using them a lot in my documents, and it is kind of annoying. It appears that if one uses the \inmargin macro just prior to the \item macro, the in-margin text is typeset against the previous line, not the line with the \item. Minimal example.
>
> \starttext
> \startitemize
> 	\item This is just a normal completely innocent paragraph against which one will be able to judge the amount of indentation of the next paragraph.
> 	\inmargin{Duck}\item This paragraph has a duck inmargin comment
> \stopitemize
> \stoptext
>
> That seems fair enough and even makes sense on some level. If however, one reverses the two macros, like so:
>
>    	\item\inmargin{Duck} This paragraph has a duck inmargin comment
>
> the leading space just after the closing brace is actually printed. I take this to be a bug, or is this by design? The only way I can around this is to not use a space, like so:
>
>    	\item\inmargin{Duck}This paragraph has a duck inmargin comment
>
> But I don't find that to be a satisfying solution. After all I am using ConTeXt because I am a bit pedantic about text, even the source code in this case.

the magin note has to anchor somewhere so the second approach is the
best as after all \item can start with doing spacing things

concerning the space ... sometimes you want a space so gobbling the next
one is debatable; you can of course wrap the command, as in:

\def\myinmargin#1{\inmargin{#1}\ignorespaces}